Wednesday, January 12

We Can Work It Out

I've done a lot of fussing and fighting today with my chairs.

One thing I learned is that it is almost impossible to glue painted pieces of wood together. A second thing I learned is that a 16th of an inch is HUGE. The third thing I learned is that it takes a lot of patience and perseverance to continue a project that keeps falling apart.

For some reason, this video came to mind.





I read somewhere that Gorilla Glue might work? Got any ideas? Help!


5 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I couldn't get them to play, but agree it does take a great deal of patience to make anything happen. Hope the frustrations leaves you quickly.

Tabitha Corsica said...

If I were you ,Kathi, I'd scrape off the paint (or sand) where I am going to glue. No matter how strong the glue, you will still be only gluing paint to paint and the join will ultimatley fail. Wood glue for wood is still the best.

De said...

I have a lot of success with regular tacky glue and a tiny dot of super glue. The super glue holds the joint quickly while allowing the tacky glue time to set. But I agree with Tabitha that you might want to remove the paint at the joints and touch it up again after the chairs are assembled. Good luck!

Caseymini said...

Kathi, I use Aileen's Fast Grab glue. I did the bookcases this morning in a matter of minutes. It holds everything together as soon as the pieces touch. The others are right. Paint definitely goes on last if you want the glue to hold. I can get away with staining first with Minwax oil based stain, but not painting.

Kathi said...

Thanks everyone! I knew you would help me work this out. :D
I just scooped all of my little chair pieces into a tray. Grandpa and I need a break. I'll get back to them when we both have more time and patience!!